Comments (2)

KK Davis
KK Davis

Thank you very much for this opportunity. I will reiterate my suggestion to the USARC of April of 2023. We are experiencing a persistent cloud cover across the circumpolar North, which I will name as Arctic aerosols. I am confident in waving my arms frantically to bring this to the attention of all pertinent Arctic stakeholders. This phenomenon is likely a combination of factors. However, the midlatitude/ transboundary pollution component is present and pressing and needs to be initiated in discussions. Waiting for scientific publications as proof is going to be waiting too long for beginning these talks. PFAS has initiated discussion but there are many other contaminants to be considered. The phenomenon is so persistent that it is sure to be impacting our water sources, the plants and animals that we harvest and the air that we breathe. Please do not let this fall on ears as an environmentalist plea. Over the last seven years this occurrence has come to present itself on a daily basis. Layered pollution and this aerosol cloud cover dominates the lower troposphere ( I have witnessed this in Alaska across the state, Iceland and in photos from all of the circumpolar North states) and most disturbingly, in the winter months when our daylight hours are few, the cloud cover does not allow the sun to break through; exasperating depression as well. This will also be the seventh year that I have struggled to raise awareness on this subject, with very little response. As colossal of a task as this may be, Arctic policy makers have a duty to respond to this problem. I will thank you for your time in advance and will await response with confidence. --KK Davis

Please log in or sign up to comment.